Below is guidance from the Wisconsin Department of Safety and Professional Services (DSPS) regarding what credentials are required to pull building permits.

“Q: What credentials are required for a Manufactured Home Installer to be issued a building permit for the installation of a manufactured home?

A: In order for a Manufactured Home Installer to obtain a building permit on  behalf of the home owner, the Manufactured Home Installer must have both a Dwelling Contractor license (DC) and a Manufactured Home Installer license (MHI). For the purposes of obtaining a building permit for a manufactured home, the Manufactured Home Installer license substitutes for the Dwelling Contractor Qualifier Certification (DCQ). As with any other building permit request, an owner/occupier of a manufactured home may obtain their own permit without the DC and DCQ respectively. Please Note: As with the construction of any new one or two dwelling, the onsite installation of a manufactured home requires that the municipality of the recognized UDC inspection agency for that municipality issue a Wisconsin uniform building permit seal with the permit. This permit seal shall be affixed to the posted permit or to the permit application. The seal number must appear on both documents.”

This interpretation of the law differs from DSPS’ past interpretation in which municipalities would often require an  installer to have the Dwelling Contractor Qualifier as well as the Installer license.  This new guidance was requested by the WI Housing Alliance because of multiple incorrect interpretations of the credentialing requirements.

The Dwelling Contractor Certification is a business license that requires:

A Fee of $40
Requires you to carry Workers Compensation insurance
Must be in compliance with Unemployment Compensation
Proof of Financial Responsibility
Liability insurance ($250,000) or a bond of at least $25,000

Click here for a link to the application


Share This Post!